Eleven
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion-Dollar Trash Trade

Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion-Dollar Trash Trade - Adam Minter Way more interesting than I thought it would be! This is globalization and enviromentalism at their complicated intersection. I was vaguely aware of the recycling/reuse industry, but the author put forth an exploration and explanation of in the industry that was far more enlightening than anything I've seen about the subject.

Adam Minter it incredibly well informed, and he's a great writer. He's personally experienced and witnessed the many different pieces of the trash trade, both in America and China, the two principal players in the industry (having grown up in the trade in America and lived in China for the last decade covering it as a journalist).

The best part is that Minter doesn't stand in judgement, either way, of the trash trade. There are pros that are very good and cons that are both bad and very scary ugly, and he is clearly torn in deciding how to feel about it. His thesis is that it's important, however good or ugly it is, and we American would do well to educate ourselves about it. And I couldn't agree more.

I received this book as part of the GoodReads FirstReads program.