Eleven
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

How About Never--Is Never Good for You?: My Life in Cartoons

How About Never--Is Never Good for You?: My Life in Cartoons - Bob Mankoff I received this book through the GoodReads FirstReads program. So I'm assuming the editing problems are going to get fixed.

This book is many things. But mostly it's about New Yorker cartoons and cartoonists. It's really not a memoir. At all. The best window we get into his personal life is when he thanks his wife on the Acknowledgments page at the back of the book. But once I got past the lack of personal story, I enjoyed the book for what it was.

There are lots of cartoons. And they're funny. Once in a while the text is funny, too. Very enjoyable. And there's a look on how cartoonists get into the community. He recalls his own years of rejection before he sold some cartoons, and he also shares the beginnings of several other cartoonists' careers, from those that have been around for a while, and those that have started more recently. He analyzes what makes a cartoon funny. He describes in detail the process of selecting cartoons at the New Yorker. He talks about the caption contest. All interesting stuff, even if you're not a rabid New Yorker fan (and I'm not).

All in all, this was a fun, entertaining, and informative read. I enjoyed it. Anyone interested in cartooning or the New Yorker would love it, I would think, and it's a good read for others who are curious.