Eleven
The Crusades Through Arab Eyes
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera
Magnificent Minds: 16 Pioneering Women in Science and Medicine - Pendred E. Noyce

It takes a little while for this book to get going -- the first 3 or 4 biographical sketches are about women so early in scientific history that there's not a whole lot of info about their lives and their science is incomplete (historical), so it's not included in great detail.  But it warms up after that.  The last few are very good, with excellent stories and better science.

This is a visual book, laid out like a magazine.  There are breakout boxes to explain historical contexts or scientific ideas.  There are quote boxes.  Lots of pictures.  The language is very simple.  I'm terrible at guessing these things, but I would say it's about a 7th or 8th grade level book.  In any case it should be a straightforward, interesting read for young people (either male or female) interested in science.  That being said, it is more of a history book than a science book.  Just the intro to the science is included.  But knowing about their lives is important.  Very enjoyable, easy read.
I got a free copy of an early ebook version of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.