Eleven
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand

The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand - Elizabeth Berg I received a copy of this ebook from the First to Read program.

George Sand's life was amazing, and it will always make for great story-telling. Surrounded by people whose names are still familiar to us, Sand lived in a Paris culture dominated by the arts: music, art, writing, at a time of relative peace. It's a good story and it made me want to go out and read more George Sand, so in that sense it's a successful book.

There were parts of this book that really soared, but there were also times when it felt like the first-person narrator was more a modern woman who admires the gutsy George Sand than Sand herself. Much of the novel is defensive. This is understandable, since Sand's lifestyle and history was then and, in some ways, is still controversial. But the book is so defensive that it misses any sense of balance or responsible self-reflection. I think most of us, upon lengthy reflection, could come up with a few flaws, but in this book all actions and thoughts from Sand are defended.

Also, whenever we read about a historical figure defined by ideas, we long to read about those ideas, but this is more of a catalog of events in Sand's life, birth to death, including many details that seem to be included mainly because they were documented, rather than any weighty significance in the author's life. I did want more ideas and fewer events.

But like I said, it's hard to go wrong with a history like this. It's a great tale.