Eleven
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

Disordered World: Setting a New Course for the Twenty-First Century

Disordered World: Setting a New Course for the Twenty-First Century - Amin Maalouf Wow. This is a great little book that I want to recommend to everyone interested in current events and history and the middle east and the west and how it's all connected. After reading this, I wanted to go back and ask my high school teachers why we didn't read this... shouldn't we have read this? [Okay, that was a long long time before this book existed.]

Of course this is one man's take on the situation in the Middle East, which is always changing, and the relationships between the western and arabic cultures. So it cannot contain everything. It is not objective. But it is balanced and above all, educational. The author's goal seems to be education -- that is his answer to what troubles us. And that sounds simplistic. But I actually agreed with this much of his argument before I started. It will be impossible to solve our cultural clashes (because as complicated as they are, they are ultimately cultural) without education. And this book is a great contribution to that effort. Read it! You'll love it! Or you'll hate it! I don't care, but read it anyway.