Eleven
The Crusades Through Arab Eyes
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

Undocumented: A Dominican Boy’s Odyssey from a Homeless Shelter to the Ivy League - Dan-el Padilla Peralta This is an amazing story. An immigrant without papers when he's four, Dan-el tells the story of his upbringing. He is on the wrong side of some unjust laws. His is on the right side of some incredible luck. Others help him to be the success he is. And he is smart and works hard, making those people's efforts both effective and worth while. It's a great story and I recommend it widely. It's a good read and not preachy. He tells the full story of a full life, although he is understandably frustrated by the extra layer of anxiety constantly surrounding him regarding his immigration status. There seems to be, more or less, a happy ending here.

But we all need to think about what this story means. It's remarkable because it's so unusual. He beat the odds, but the odds are still bad. Individual actions are so important, as evidenced by his experience. But couldn't we do better as a society? I'm glad his story is out there. Not many are in the position to share stories like his. I hope it helps to educate us as a people and that we can do something about it.

I got a free copy of this from First to Read.