Eleven
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

Risky Business: The Economic Risks of Climate Change in the United States

Risky Business: The Economic Risks of Climate Change in the United States - Risky Business Project I actually read the longer, unabridged version of this report, but I don't see that on Goodreads, so I'll put my review here.

This report is interesting and informative. Despite the fact that I am not their target audience (business leaders and risk management professionals), I found the report easy to read and understand. It did get bogged down in the details here and there, but it never became unreadable.

The report is organized by the kind of risk, or sector of the economy/business that is affected by climate change. There's a section on labor, a section on agriculture/prices, a section on water, etc. Some of them were obvious, and others were not. The section on crime surprised me. When I saw that there was a section on crime, I thought, oh, okay, this is looting in the wake of natural disasters. Or just longer summers, and crime is higher in the summer than in the winter. But no. Turns out that higher temperatures actually make people more aggressive, less law-abiding. Hmmm... Didn't think of that one.

Each section has a summary at the beginning by a member of the industry, but not of the committee who prepared the report, and I'd actually say that just going through and reading those would be a great education if you don't have much time. Even at the summary level, this analysis is valuable: who is this going to affect? how?

They do sound like economists, for good reason. At one point they do admit that merely assigning monetary value to human lives that will be lost is not sufficient to deal with the problem. But they have an economic focus and stick to it. It's worth it to stay with them.

So I'd recommend this book lots of people, whether they think they have a good grasp of the consequences of global warming or not. What kinds of risks are we actually talking here? What do we have to pay attention to? Great information.

I got a free copy of this book through NetGalley.