Eleven
Jon Rothschild, Amin Maalouf
Island of a Thousand Mirrors
Nayomi Munaweera

Among the Ten Thousand Things: A Novel

Among the Ten Thousand Things: A Novel - Julia Pierpont The time around the divorce in this family is defining for all four of its members, and each of them is changed. The first part of the novel is about the children finding out about their father's affair, and strange events and conversations that surround each of them as the wife wonders what to do (she had already known about it) and how to move forward and who she really is. Their communication isn't great with each other, but it's a good read.

Then part 2 summarizes the rest of their lives. It's convincing and poignant.
Then part 3 picks us where part 1 left off, following the day-by-day with excruciating detail. I know a lot of people don't like this format, but I actually do like it. So now that you know the summary, here are the details. They're not what you thought they should be.
But somehow... this part of the novel drags a great deal for me. It felt too long, too much. The summary fourth part was a relief when it came.

I guess I just sorta got tired of these characters. They don't make a whole lot of progress in the book -- it's just a snapshot of what they're going through. There's no real resolution, and you can't see the rest of the stuff in the summary sections coming. I finished it and found myself asking what the point was -- not in a snarky way, but really wondering what the author was hoping the readers would get out of this. I'm not sure I understand it entirely. But most of the language was good and the characters were interesting and realistic, if not loveable.

I got a free copy of this from the First to Read Program.